Bill was born in Scarborough, ON- just one part of Toronto where his racist carding policy profiled many innocent black people. He served as Toronto Chief of Police from 2005 until 2015, exploding the annual budget to a billion dollars and overseeing a number of Charter and Human Rights abuses, incl. the Toronto G20 Summit.
Mayor John Tory calls Blair’s use of carding “illegitimate, disrespectful” and “unacceptable”, joins call to end racist practice. Blair says Mayor Tory is a liar.
Bill Blair on his media blitz to convince everyone that carding is a good thing. Now Blair claims Mayor Tory and Police Board Chair Mukherjee are lying.
In what seems to be an all too familiar narrative, former TPS Chief Bill Blair is once again in a battle with the Mayor of Toronto. Although this time the battle isn’t over a failed, multi-million dollar investigation (andlikely abuse of police power) or Blair’s thoughts on the Mayor’s drug use. This time, it’s a about Blair’s toxic defense of the racist and destructive practice of carding used by him and the Toronto Police.
After finally seeing the light this week, Tory called for an outright end to the practice. This is a positive change from Tory’s previous stance in support of the lame-duck, Blair-endorsed reforms to carding policy. In a rather bizarre twist, it has recently been revealed that Bill Blair, John Tory and Toronto Police Service Board Chair Alok Mukherjee had sought to placate the critics of carding earlier this year with a tri-authored op-ed in the Toronto Star. The preemptive damage control article apparently was critical of carding, but claimed Blair’s proposed reforms were a step in the right direction. Both Mukherjee and Tory have discussed the article and how Chief Blair rejected the piece at the last minute before a TPSB vote on carding policy, seeing the article die. Bill Blair, however, is denying the whole thing ever happened:
Mr. Blair, now running for the federal Liberals in Scarbourough Southwest, denies the entire scenario. “Bill was never asked, nor did he ever co-author anything with Alok Mukherjee and John Tory,” said Blair spokesperson Jill Fairbrother. (from the Globe & Mail )
Bill Blair seen here measuring the remaining support of his racist carding policy.
The question of the truth in this matter will hopefully come out, but what is more concerning is Blair’s continued support and defense of the racist policy. Community advocates have been raising the alarm for years on carding, recently the issue has been brought into focus by the personal experiences shared by journalist Desmond Cole and the presentation by Concerned Citizens to End Carding, calling for an end to the Charter-violating policy. The group was led by former city councillor Gordon Cressy and featured the support of Coun. Michael Thompson, former mayors Barbara Hall, David Crombie, and John Sewell, and former Chief Justice of Ontario Roy McMurtry. Even former Liberal leader, Bob Rae, has come out against Blair’s policies:
The Mayor is right, finally, on carding. Police stopping people and keeping info on citizens without reason to do so is just wrong #carding
The legacy of Blair’s support of carding can been seen in new TPS Chief Mark Saunders opposition to ending the practice. Had Blair shown leadership and sense during his reign, he could have forged a new future of police/community relations – he did not. Even though Bill Blair stands more and more alone on this issue of carding, he bafflingly seems poised to take the Liberal Party nomination in the riding of Scarborough Southwest this weekend. It will be up to the voters and the media to hold Bill Blair accountable and get to the truth of these, many more of his problematic issues. To add your voice to thiose calling for an end to carding, you can sign the peition over at Change.org:
Large backlash as Lib Leader photo-ops with “nominee” candidate Bill Blair.
On Monday Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau paraded former Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair around Ottawa. In what is supposedly an open nomination process, Trudeau has obviously made his unfortunate choice. A lot of folks are not impressed. The endorsement didn’t sit well with Blair’s fellow hopeful Liberal nominee in the Scarboruough Southwest riding. Criminologist and carding opponent, Michael Kempa, who has been campaigning in Scarborough for a year, reacted with a critical piece for the National Post.
Many Canadians were quick to criticize Trudeau, citing Blair’sunacceptable record on the G20 Summit and his defense of racist carding practices used by police. For those who are still unsure of what Blair’s continued support of the carding policy means, read Desmond Cole’s piece about his experience as a black man in Toronto. During their joint press conference/photo op however, Trudeau showed he’s fine with aiding Blair in defending in indefensible. The Liberal Leader went on to say he “wouldn’t second guess” Blair’s command of the G20 (one would hope that a potential PM would do just that). Maybe Trudeau just hasn’t read the official report from the OIPRD – there’s no second guessing needed. He could also read another report by this fellow:
What's 2 defend in G20 handling? 1,000s illegally detained/arrested. Black eye on Toronto. The fact Blair STILL doesn't GET IT troublesome
Some of the biggest criticism came from the Ontario Ombudsman, André Marin, whoseinvestigation into the G20 Summit also uncovered horrifying abuses and failures. Keeping true to what he said at the time- calling Blair’s policing of G20 “the most massive compromise of civil liberties in Canadian history, and we can never let that happen again”- it’s refreshing to see someone willing to say what needs to be said. In the hopes the we can get Blair to say what needs to be said, here is a list of tips & questions for media who interview Bill Blair.
Overall, not the best unveiling for Trudeau and Blair. And rightfully so. Many people expressed a level of disappointment to the point of the Libs losing their vote . In a time when Trudeau’s commitment to civil liberties and the Charter his father ushered in is being questioned, one hopes he reexamines just who he’s backing.
After being rejected for another term as Toronto’s Police Chief, Bill Blair has announced his campaign to be the federal Liberal candidate for Scarborough Southwest. As pointed out in numerous places by numerous people, there are a few “problems” with Bill’s track-record. A lot of people have been discussing Bill Blair’s legacy as he “retires” from policing. This site aims to bring attention to some disturbing facts about that “legacy” and the pressing issues of having a guy like Bill Blair in Ottawa.
Liberal strategist Warren Kinsella pointed out on his blog, back in March, that a five-minute Google search only starts to scrape the surface of these problems:
These are issues that the Liberal Party will also have to address if they run Bill. The Liberal Party brought us the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, of which Bill Blair is one of biggest abusers to date. Ottawa needs forward thinking politicians who champion accountability, transparency, fiscal responsibility and civil liberties more than ever. It doesn’t need more guys like Bill.
Running Bill Blair doesn’t make the Liberals look strong on crime and punishment, it makes them look weak on principle and values. Especially at a time when Trudeau’s commitment to civil rights is in question.
As Bill Blair’s reign as Toronto’s Police Chief comes to end, let’s take a look at one of the most notorious “unsolved” crimes of his tenure.
The worst game ever played.
There is a big “whodunnit” hanging over one of Toronto’s, if not Canada’s, most infamous crimes of the past five years: the 2010 Toronto G20 Summit (check out 18 Disturbing Facts about G20to refresh yourself). Trying to solve the case has been like a horrible variation on the game Clue. Pieces are missing and the instruction manual is one-hundred pages of contradicting rules.
It’s been almost five years since I stood in the overcrowded G20 Detention Centre cages (along with my wife and a thousand other innocent people), begging my guards for water until I passed out. The Toronto G20’s most publicized crimes though, were those committed against inanimate objects (vandalism of windows and cars). For those acts, people found guilty were charged, imprisoned and have since been released (few, if any, of these individuals were amongst the people rounded up in sweeping mass arrests). However, the crimes committed against the people -during the largest unlawful mass arrest in Canadian history– will likely have no consequences for the guilty parties. Despite several in-depth reports and reviews confirming the illegal actions of police leadership at the G20 (and the millions of dollars they cost to complete) no G20 Commanders stand to face repercussions.
You’ll likely see this before you see accountability on G20.
I recently received a letter from the Toronto Police Service (TPS) that reminded me of how ludicrous it all is. Not that G20 hadn’t provided consistent reminders of itself over the years (like the traumatic revelations this past summer that the strip-search areas in the G20 Detention Centre were being filmed) but this notice had something special. The letter was informing me that the ongoing disciplinary hearing for the only TPS G20 Commander facing charges of any kind, Superintendent Mark Fenton, was once again being delayed. I’ve had dozens of these notices over the past three years, but the new dates for the hearing stuck out: June 23-24, 2015. The exact five year anniversary of the G20 Summit.
So who IS responsible for criminal actions against the public at the G20? Well, try playing the game with me as we take a look at the suspects and evidence. Can you solve the ‘whodunit’ of Clue: Toronto G20 Edition?
This graph of how the G20 Integrated Security Unit operated was provided by the RCMP in their report explaining why they are not responsible for anything at G20. I am stunned we cannot figure out who to blame.
SUSPECT: TPS CHIEF BILL BLAIR– Many G20 reviews and reports say the Toronto Police brass are indeed the ones to blame. Chief Blair (known for racist carding practices, presenting false G20 evidence, also lying to the public about G20, making stuff up about G20, not apologizing for G20 and not arresting Rob Ford) has stated he takes full responsibility for the actions of his officers at the Summit. But he won’t be facing any charges himself. The Chief instead authorized Toronto Police Act charges against a handful of his subordinate officers and Commanders as the OIPRD report recommended (despite the fact that Blair was in the room while the illegal orders were given). All but one (Mark Fenton) of those senior TPS G20 commanders have since retired, thus avoiding any kind of hearing or charges under the slow moving Police Act. Blair did not pursue proper criminal charges against his retired friends and recently he signed the death warrant of the lone hearing against Fenton by not testifying. It’s a devious Catch-22 rule: Fenton says he was just following orders. Blair would need to testify to verify Fenton’s statement. Blair cannot testify because Blair appointed the judge in Fenton’s case. Yup. As of April 25th, Blair joins the untouchable Retired G20 Bosses Gang. Currently, Bill Blair is seeking the nomination for the Liberal Party in Scarborough Southwest for the upcoming federal election. There are several rather insane things about this. One hopes that without his police-shield of “I cannot comment”, the media and voters would hold Blair accountable for his past abuses.
SUSPECT: G20 CMDR MARK FENTON- The man who gave the orders to conduct massive unlawful arrests (or was ordered to give the orders…). Not surprisingly, Fenton has pleaded not guilty to the charges against him of unlawful arrest and discreditable conduct – he’s going with the classic “I was just following orders” defense. After changing his official story a few times (which would be called ‘lying’ in normal-people court) it’s hard to to get a clear picture. It’s safe to say that his farce-like trial will not end well. Three days into the hearing, the retired judge in charge quit the case due to medical issues. The new retired judge (hand-picked to take over by Chief Blair) has a history of representing police officers as a defense attorney and seems to be have been a pretty crappy judge all around. Currently on hiatus, this trial will resume on the five year anniversary of the the G20 (that is, if he doesn’t retire before then).
SUSPECT: OTHER G20 CMDRS?-Fenton’s lawyer has stated that his client should not be blamed for the mistreatment that happened in the Detention Centre- that happened after people were arrested. He said that there was “another set of officers” responsible for that. So, let’s go after those guys, right? There were two guys in command of the Detention Centre: Staff Insp. Frank Ruffolo and Supt. Michael Farra. Both retired almost at the same time the 2012 OIPRD report recommending they be charged came out. Chief Blair’s interpretation of the Police Act was that that retired officers could not be charged and no other form of criminal charges would be pursued. The men who ran the notorious Detention Centre now enjoy a rather nicely padded retirement. The only other G20 senior officer to be charged, Insp. Gary Meissner, also retired before his G20 hearing could even take place. Former Deputy Chief Tony Warr would have also likely faced charges, but retired shortly after G20. It would appear retirement is the ultimate freedom after all. So who else?
SUSPECT: DAVID MILLER & TORONTO CITY COUNCIL– Was it former Toronto Mayor David Miller and the members of the 2010 Toronto City Council? They voted to authorize the lease for a mass prison facility back in March 2010, only to go on to insult people even further by blindy thanking the TPS for their actions during the G20.
SUSPECT: RCMP & CMDR ALPHONSE MACNEIL – Perhaps rarely mentioned RCMP Commander Alphonse MacNeil, who was in charge of the whole G20 Integrated Security Unit (ISU)? The structure of which is easy to understand in the above “chart”. The RCMP’s position is that the G20 crimes are the responsibility of the TPS.
SUSPECT: OPP & JULIAN FANTINO – How about the famously failed former Conservative Veterans Affairs Minister? Before his cushy appointments with the Feds, Fantino served as Commissioner of the OPP during the Summit, overseeing from the G20 Command Centre in Barrie. Despite a small kerfuffle over his spending at the event, Fantino’s name has since remained suspiciously out of most G20 reviews. Like the RCMP, the OPP says this mess is on the TPS.
SUSPECT: DALTON MCGUNITY– How about Fantino’s “boss” at the time, former Ontario Liberal Premier Dalton McGuinty? Nope. McGuinty to has flat out denied responsibility for secret G20 laws his government passed at the request of Bill Blair.
SUSPECT: STEPHEN HARPER – Now how about Prime Minister Stephen Harper? If Bill C-51 is any indication, the man does hate civil liberties. He’s also the man who decided where G20 would be held and is the guy the RCMP led security operation would have ultimately answered to. Many said that the connection between the PMO and G20 security decisions needed to be investigated. However, the Feds at the time – through Public Safety Minister Vic Towes (another big fan of denying knowledge of secret laws) – said that there wasno need for a Public Inquiry to look into such things.
How does this twisted take on Clue end? How does one win? I have no idea. We know the ‘Places’ and we know the ‘Weapons’, but this game isn’t designed to let you catch just ‘Who’ done it. This particular game of police accountability was also played under a huge spotlight – it’s a million times worse for the vulnerable people playing all alone against the police. As Bill Blair and the rest of the gang play-out-the-clock, or retire from the game altogether, it’s clear we really need some new game designers to fix this.